Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stephen's Residency Reception



Earlier this summer, my brother finished his five-year urological residency program. The past five years have been such an amazing and challenging time for him and Jamie. During that time, he has worked insane hours (they limit (sort of) the time residents work to 80 hours a week). Also, he and Jamie have had three children during that time. They have also managed to be somewhat involved with church and social groups. Stephany and I were so glad to be able to be there that night for his reception. He and another resident were being honored for completing the program.

I am so proud of my brother. Seeing what he has endured during these past five years has given me much encouragement for facing difficult times in the future. He would be the first to say that it has not been pretty at times, and that he has sometimes failed. However, even though the flesh has been weak, and even though the spirit has been pressed, he has made it through a very demanding chapter of life - even if God had to drag him through some of it. The picture above is of the head doctor of the urology department honoring Stephen. I say this in a very selfish way, but it was so rewarding to finally hear the praise that was due to him.

The pictures below capture Stephen speaking about his experiences during the program and how certain people there (doctors, staff, etc.) had contributed to it. The pictures are a bit blurry, as I was in the back of the room and the lighting is not great.





One thing I really appreciated hearing was Stephen honoring my father during his speech. He said that something he had learned from our dad was that you should treat patients like they are your family. Anyone who knew my dad would readily agree that that was how Stewart Stimson treated people, especially his patients. I hope to apply that to my own career, to approach those I serve in my profession (and beyond my profession, in my law-related personal interests and in my love for people in general) with empathy and understanding - in a way that communicates they are my brother and sister.



Stephen also took some time to thank Jamie in particular (first and most of all), for all her love and support throughout these years. It was really sweet.





Stephany and I were there partly to babysit Macy, their youngest, in the back. We love that little girl, and it was fun being there with her at our own table.





Stephen, Jamie, and Macy.



And other pictures of all of us.











On a final note, I would account, for anyone who did not know, that Stephen's residency is what brought me out to Albuquerque back in 2005. He had matched through his residency applications at the University of New Mexico, and I followed him and Jamie out here about six months after they moved here, because I was inbetween jobs and wanted to get out of Texas for a while. A year after I moved here was when Stephany and I met. Also, a lot of really significant life growth happened for me during that first year here - a lot of really trying times and personal difficulties - and I am thankful for coming out on the other side of a lot of those things, with a deeper, more abiding, more solemn and honest faith.

So for me, it was especially meaningful to be there that night. I was fortunate to be there at the beginning of Stephen and Jamie's New Mexico journey, and I was fortunate to be there at the end. It's all quite amazing to me.

They are now moving on to Waco, where Stephen will enter private practice with a urology group there, and Stephany and I will be back to Dallas in a week to finish up my third and last year of law school at SMU. Lots of good things.

Nathan

No comments: