Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Law School Experience Thus Far

With finals now over and the first semester of law school officially under my belt, I've done a bit of reflecting. Here are some of my thoughts this weekend:

  • It really is a lot of work. You can't get behind a bit or else it snowballs (in a "I-just-got-hit-in-the-eye-with-a-snowball!" kind of way). However, if you go into it with that mindset (or one similar to it) and put your head down and just push through, it's quite doable.


  • I have been quite impressed overall with the quality of the students in my class. I've heard that things get more competitive after the first semester (when grades are tossed out like blood in the water - okay, maybe that's a bit much, but at some schools, I'm sure it's like that). Honestly though, most of my peers are quite nice, and my section (100 students taking the same intro classes together during the first year) has developed a bit of camaraderie, which is nice.


  • Good grades = good internship = good job = $$$ (or, in some cases, $$$,$$$). Thankfully, I have the blessed benefit of not having to subject myself to much crazy pressure in order to feel some sort of self-valuing purposefulness to my studies and endeavors in law school. And that's a big thing. We are much loved by God.


  • Maintaining balance between school and personal life was just as important to me as school! Stephany and I determined at the beginning of the semester to commit to meeting with our church home group every Wednesday evening (my busiest and most exhausting school day of the week), and it was definitely rewarding. Meeting people and seeing our friends has been such a great weekly thing for us, and enriched personal life means more ability and freedom to study determinedly.

Those are the thoughts so far. I have a few weeks off between semesters, which is fantastic. During the break, I'll begin working on applications for judicial internships for Summer 2008, so if you are a judge, I'd like to speak with you. Likewise, if you know any judges (particularly, in the DFW area), I'd like to speak with you.


Stephany, my coffee sugar mama, is puttin' in some extra hours at Starbucks this week in order for us to travel back to New Mexico to visit family for Christmas. She'll be back blogging soon. In the meantime, our love to you all.


-Nathan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your friendship! I am glad you are here. Have a wonderful time in NM. ~Talitha

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

Hope NM was/is great. Love the blog. I'm glad you're enjoying law school so far.

k

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this semester has been a grind. I am glad you have a little time off. I am sure we will see you 2 after our little package of joy arrives.

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

Alright. If you're going to have a blog, you have to update it every now and then. :)

Oh yeah. Happy 2008.